Re: real LSB compliance

 Christopher> Anthony Towns writes:

 >> Well, the Debian Way of supporting the LSB would be to have some
 >> developer go off, create a lsb_1.0_i386.deb that includes any necessary
 >> software, or depends on other packages that do (and a corresponding
 >> lsb-dev_1.0_i386.deb for people who want to build lsb packages), upload
 >> them, and basically be done.

 Christopher> Much like FHS compliance (which is part of the LSB but
 Christopher> Debian has been  heading towards anyway) some parts are
 Christopher> going to need at the very least  the cooperation of
 Christopher> maintainers of other packages.

	Indeed. And parts may require policy changes; and we need to
 go through the process. Perhaps we need to send out a feeler in the
 policy list _before_ things are laid out in stone, so the technical
 objections can be answered, or the proposal modified, before the
 fact.

 >> Expecting all of Debian to just suddenly see some new (and completely
 >> unimplemented!) proposal, and decide to support it wholeheartedly and

 Christopher> Although there are a few new bits, actually the vast
 Christopher> majority of the  specification has already been
 Christopher> implemented in more than one  distribution. I think
 Christopher> we'll see free implementations of all of the rest
 Christopher> available from various sources within a few months.

	I guess we shall be better able to judge where we stand with
 respect to the proposal then.

	manoj
--
 If ever the pleasure of one has to be bought by the pain of the
 other, there better be no trade.  A trade by which one gains and the