Re: real LSB compliance

Anthony Towns writes:

> Well, the Debian Way of supporting the LSB would be to have some
> developer go off, create a lsb_1.0_i386.deb that includes any necessary
> software, or depends on other packages that do (and a corresponding
> lsb-dev_1.0_i386.deb for people who want to build lsb packages), upload
> them, and basically be done.

Much like FHS compliance (which is part of the LSB but Debian has been
heading towards anyway) some parts are going to need at the very least
the cooperation of maintainers of other packages.

> Expecting all of Debian to just suddenly see some new (and completely
> unimplemented!) proposal, and decide to support it wholeheartedly and

Although there are a few new bits, actually the vast majority of the
specification has already been implemented in more than one
distribution. I think we'll see free implementations of all of the
rest available from various sources within a few months.

Chris.
--
yeohc@au1.ibm.com
IBM OzLabs Linux Development Group