Re: real LSB compliance

>>"Theodore" == Theodore Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu> writes:

 Theodore> Finally, I want to underline again the fact that the
 Theodore> discussions on this subject have been happening for over a
 Theodore> year, and most of these issues (runlevels in particular)
 Theodore> had been settled a long time ago.

	Perhaps I am reading too much into perhaps unintentional
 phraseology, but this is beginning to sound like something writ in
 stone. I certainly hope I am wrong, for if this sentiment ``we
 settled all this a long time ago, and since you were not there
 comment, you lose'' actually prevails, then the LSB is dead before it
 gets of the ground.

 Theodore> Many other distributions (SuSE and Caldera in particular)
 Theodore> had already started making changes to their distributions
 Theodore> in preparation for LSB.

 Theodore> Where were all of the Debian developers back then when we
 Theodore> were actually discussing these issues?  It was an open

	Well, we were creating a distribution, neh? We also assumed
 that the general developer body would be kept apprised of significant
 developments.

 Theodore> process, and you could have affected the course of the
 Theodore> standard back then.  (There have been a number of very good
 Theodore> points that were raised in this thread; I just wish they
 Theodore> were raised a year ago.)

	I see. So the LSB is indeed written in stone? Too bad. I was
 beginning to like some stuff.

 Theodore> Where were all of the Debian developers when we started the
 Theodore> one month review process before the final standardization
 Theodore> of 1.0?  We received a lot of comments and carefully
 Theodore> considered all of them before putting out the 1.0 standard.
 Theodore> Although it would have been much more convenient to have
 Theodore> received these sorts of comments a year ago, it still would
 Theodore> have been much easier for all concerned if we had received
 Theodore> these comments a month ago, instead of now, after LSB 1.0
 Theodore> written specification has been released.

	I think you guys screwed up when it came to advertizing the
 review process, as you are beginning to discover. However, I would
 not be very hard on myself, after all, this is just the version
 1.0. (yes, this is a trifle tongue in cheek, but the arrogance
 implied in apportioning all the blame for not participating in the
 review procerss to the people who did not deserves this a bit).

 Theodore> Unfortunately, human nature being what it is, most folks
 Theodore> refuse to actually pay attention to a standard until after
 Theodore> it's finally released --- at which point they start
 Theodore> kvetching.  Well, if you don't like what happened with LSB
 Theodore> 1.0, please help us with LSB 1.1!  Volunteers are always
 Theodore> appreciated.

	You shall certainly get some volunteers, but only if things
 are still fixable (anything written in stone does not sound very
 enticing).

	manoj
--
 QOTD: "I used to get high on life but lately I've built up a
 resistance."