Re: [users] Re: Time to fight for our beloved DEB format!

On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 12:54:24AM -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:

> Because you might not want xdm running all the time?  My laptop
> doesn't start up xdm by default, since if I'm running in "airplane
> mode" and am just doing development, I'll just run in console mode
> only, and not starting up X or xdm saves memory, and saving memory
> saves disk accesses, and saving disk access saves batteries.
>
> If I do want to fire up xdm, I do so by typing the command "sudo telinit 5".

so configure your runlevels to do what you want.  thats *your*
preference, not everyone elses.  the proper solution is for you to
configure your system that way, not force your way on everyone else.

we leave runlevels completely up to the admin to do with as he
pleases, as it should be.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/