Re: LSB Spec 1.0 Criticism

On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 08:06:36AM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Why is it expected that applications will need to write to
> > /var/mail/<username>? Should, say, OpenOffice.lsb fail to work because
> > I put my mail in ~/mail in maildir format?
> Packages need default assumptions about how mail is delivered. Remember the
> ISV may be installing mail agents, pop, imap servers or even an MTA
> such as sendmail.com's sendmail

Well, they could be installing apache, or a web client too; but if they
do, they're assumed to be sensible enough to tell that software where
their web pages are themselves (/var/www, file:/var/www/foo.html). It's
not unreasonable for software to want to send mail, but that would mean
it'd need to use /usr/sbin/sendmail, not write to /var/mail/* directly.

> > Why are runlevels specified? If I choose to run a system that doesn't use
> > runlevels, why should ISV's software break? If I choose to give different
> > meanings to the first 6 runlevels, why should ISV's software break?
> You can use whatever runlevels you like so long as you remap the runlevels
> the LSB programs talk about to your own.

As far as I can tell, none of the LSB programs (as far as the ISV sees)
use these runlevels though. There's no "change-runlevel" command, and
there doesn't seem to be any way for an ISV to say "please invoke my
init script in these runlevels: .. .. ..". If it's just an implementation
matter, it probably shouldn't be in the spec at all.

Cheers,
aj