Re: [users] Re: Time to fight for our beloved DEB format!

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 07:29:28PM -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:
> The reason why the run levels are specified was to handle cases where
> An LSB application may wish to have some kind of daemon which is only
> running when X11/xdm is running.

well Ethan's post below asking for 5 such daemons is relevant (I also cant
think of any, and if they do they can detect if it is running easily enough
(and a way to ensure this detection could be specified in LSB)

However the debian way of looking at this is, if you dont have/want xdm running,
why the heck is it installed? If a package requires xdm (or some other daemon
people think is runlevel dependant) the package can depend on xdm. And again
if you dont run xdm is there a reason for having stuff that will only run with
it running installed? I cant see a reason. Package dpendancies do all this
fine, why introduce further dependanceis based on runlevels that may or may
not be specified in the package dpends field.

(oh yes I love the idea of adding hidden dependancies to a distribution
through the runlevels system that are not picked up by the packaging system,
really sensible</sarcasm>)

yes debian used to use the runlevels to stop and start xdm also AFAIR, back in
buzz or rex, I seem to remember typing telinit 2 or something to stop xdm back
then. But now days I really do think what I mentioned above is valid, hidden
dependancies (or dependancies with the runlevel system in addition to what has
already been specified in package dependancies) are bogus

        See You
            Steve

--
sjh@wibble.net http://wibble.net/~sjh/