Re: networking in rcS

In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.4.21.0106101246320.426-100000@rock.dezevensprong.local>,
Wouter Verhelst  <wouter@debian.org> wrote:
>"Single user mode" means "only one user is able to log on". If a user is
>already logged on via the network and you go to single user mode, that
>connection may or may not be closed.

Oh yes, that connection will most definitely be closed.

>Unless the network is being brought
>down, you can't be sure that "single user mode" is really what the name
>says it is.

It sure is. No daemons run in single user mode, so remote access
is impossible.

>OTOH, why would networking be interesting in single user mode in the first
>place? I really can't think of a good reason why you would need networking
>in single user mode...

Say you fscked up the box and bring it to single user mode to fix
things, it is very handy (usually essential) to be able to use
ftp to access debian packages, to save logfiles, what have you.

Mike.