Re: networking in rcS

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

> In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.4.21.0106101246320.426-100000@rock.dezevensprong.local>,
> Wouter Verhelst  <wouter@debian.org> wrote:
> >"Single user mode" means "only one user is able to log on". If a user is
> >already logged on via the network and you go to single user mode, that
> >connection may or may not be closed.
>
> Oh yes, that connection will most definitely be closed.

How's that?

Does init kill all running processes when going to single user? (Guess you
should know, since you wrote it ;-)

Else, well, I don't know.

> >Unless the network is being brought
> >down, you can't be sure that "single user mode" is really what the name
> >says it is.
>
> It sure is. No daemons run in single user mode, so remote access
> is impossible.

I'm not sure, but since most daemons spawn another instance of themselves
to actually handle an incoming connection, wouldn't you say that an
existing connection could stay alive when the "main" daemon gets killed?

It shouldn't (and should go into zombie state), but I've seen situations
in which "kill -9" to a hung process simply doesn't work, or where a
zombie process stayed alive for several minutes after its parent got
killed.

> >OTOH, why would networking be interesting in single user mode in the first
> >place? I really can't think of a good reason why you would need networking
> >in single user mode...
>
> Say you fscked up the box and bring it to single user mode to fix
> things, it is very handy (usually essential) to be able to use
> ftp to access debian packages, to save logfiles, what have you.

If it's really necessary (which, in this case it is), it's still possible
to bring up the network manually. I see no need to leave it up.

But, of course, this is all IMHO; YMMV.

--
wouter dot verhelst at advalvas in belgium

Try does not exist. Believe that you will do it, else you will fail.

       -- Luke Skywalker,
       in the trilogy "The Jedi Academy", Kevin J. Anderson