Re: networking in rcS

On Sun, Jun 10, 2001 at 03:50:48PM +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.4.21.0106101246320.426-100000@rock.dezevensprong.local>,
> Wouter Verhelst  <wouter@debian.org> wrote:
>
> >OTOH, why would networking be interesting in single user mode in the first
> >place? I really can't think of a good reason why you would need networking
> >in single user mode...
>
> Say you fscked up the box and bring it to single user mode to fix
> things, it is very handy (usually essential) to be able to use
> ftp to access debian packages, to save logfiles, what have you.

Say if you need the network you would have to do:

/etc/init.d/{ipchains || iptables || whateverfirewallscriptyouhave} start
/etc/init.d/networking start

OTOH, if there's some reason the *network initialization* causes havoc on
your machine, your just simply screwed the way things are currently setup.

Regards,

Filip

--
        /* Amuse the user. */