Re: Woody upgrading problems, LILO and debconf

On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 02:31:30PM -0500, Ben Burton wrote:

> > > For the record the recurring problem I have is I tell lilo 'no thanks I
> > > can handle it' and everything seems fine, but when I power the box on
> > > next lilo is not setup and no OS shows up (often not even a LI).
> >
> > I believe that in this situation it now works better than it ever has.  The
> > way it now rotates the boot.b etc files means that you should be able to
> > upgrade without re-running lilo and have the same boot block as before.
>
> FWIW, I still have this problem; even from yesterday's upgrade I rebooted,
> got "LI" and had to get a rescue disk and rerun lilo myself (I am asking the
> installation scripts to leave /etc/lilo.conf alone, which they do).  This
> seems to be a feature of every lilo upgrade on my system. :(

why not replace /sbin/lilo with a wrapper script that copies the
necessary bootblocks from /usr/lib/lilo to /boot and then runs the
real bootblock installer.  this way when lilo is upgraded only the
bootblocks in /usr/lib/lilo are overwritten, NOT the ones in /boot (i
know the ones in /boot are moved to *.preserved but it seems that
doesn't always have the intended affect).  when the user eventually
reruns lilo (the wrapper) it will copy the new bootblocks from
/usr/lib/lilo to /boot and then the new loader becomes active.

this is how grub works.  i really like the fact that upgrading the
grub package will in no way touch the active bootloader or the active
bootblock files.

lilo would no longer have to depend on logrotate either ;-) (not to
mention no more *.preserved cruft littering /boot).

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/