Re: Maintaining kernel module packages?

David Z Maze <dmaze@debian.org> wrote:

> I was under the impression that kernel-headers-x.y.z wasn't sufficient
> to build a module.  Is it in fact enough to use the kernel headers to
> build the kernel modules from the source package?  How?  (It doesn't
> seem like 'make-kpkg modules' would work here.)

If your module requires something outside include/ to compile, then it is
broken and should be modified so that this is not the case.

> I think I'm really unclear on what you're saying.  So: I have the
> lm-sensors source package (lm-sensors.orig.tar.gz, ...diff.gz, and
> ...dsc).  I unpack it.  Right now, debian/control lists no
> dependencies on any kernel headers.  debian/rules builds the
> user-space packages, and creates an lm-sensors-source package
> containing a tarball which, when unpacked, contains the Debian source
> tree needed to build the modules.

What I'm saying that if you do wish to provide prebuilt module packages,
then you need to have a source package that build-depends on all the
kernel-headers packages which can then produce those binary module packges.

If you all you want to do is provide an lm-sensors-source package, then
you don't need to worry about the dependencies as there is no way to
declare a dependency on the exact version that the user is compiling for.