Re: Location of Modifiable Scripts

On 18-May-01, 13:54 (CDT), "Mabe, David, M (Dave)" <dmabe@att.com> wrote:
> Where should the user defined scripts reside?  Misterhouse is not a
> multi-user program, so it really doesn't make sense to put them in a home
> directory.  Should they go in /etc/misterhouse since they can certainly be
> thought of as "config files" even though they happen to be perl code?

/etc/misterhouse works for me, but there's been recent complaints
about the size of /etc. How big are the files? 1-2K would probably be
acceptable, especially as misterhouse probably won't be on a large
percentage of Debian machines...

Are the generated scripts then processed or scheduled by some central
program? Or is misterhouse only used to generate the files, which are
then run by the user? If the former, is it possible to make the location
configurable? If the later, then I don't see why it can't just be set by
the user...

Hell, if it can be configured, just make it a high-priority debconf
question and make the user tell you, with no default :-).

> Where should the example scripts go?  Many of the examples can be used by
> the program without modification.  Should they go in /usr/share/misterhouse?

Debian Policy, S 13.7 Examples:

     Any examples (configurations, source files, whatever), should be
     installed in a directory `/usr/share/doc/<package>/examples'.
     These files should not be referenced by any program--they're
     there for the benefit of the system administrator and users, as
     documentation only.  Architecture-specific example files should be
     installed in a directory `/usr/lib/<package>/examples', and files
     in `/usr/share/doc/<package>/examples' symlink to files in it.  Or
     the latter directory may be a symlink to the former.

(Also, there is this from 13.2:

     Files in `/usr/share/doc' should not be referenced by any program,
     and the system administrator should be able to delete them without
     causing any programs to break.  Any files that are referenced by
     programs but are also useful as standalone documentation should
     be installed under `/usr/share/<package>/' and symlinked in
     `/usr/share/doc/<package>/'.

but from your description I don't think it quite applies to Misterhous,
because the user would (often?) copy the example and make mods, and then
use the modified version, right?)

Steve

--
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read