Re: What's wrong with wmaker and wmaker-plain?

>> Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:

 > >  Hmm... which version of wmaker do you have and which version do you
 > >  want to install?  The wmaker-plain package doesn't exist anymore, and
 > >  it's provided by wmaker.
 >
 > Well, on the Sparc, it's wmaker 0.61.1-1, while on the Intel it's 0.61.1-4

 That's the version you have, right?  Sparc has 0.61.1-4.0.1 and i386
 has 0.61.1-4 on stable.  wmaker-plain doesn't exist on potato.  wmaker
 on potato has:

 Conflicts: [...] wmaker-plain

 > There was a fair amount of dependency resolution involved in marking the
 > package on Hold. I suspect this is what makes apt-get wish to remove it...

 Isn't there a way to ask apt-get to explain how it comes to a given
 solution?  AFAIR the situation was like this: wmaker provided the
 shared files and each of the wmaker-foo packages provided the binary,
 that is, each of the wmaker-foo packages depended on wmaker.  Now
 wmaker conflicts with all of them and provides all of them, so if you
 have wmaker installed it gets upgraded and all the other packages get
 removed because of the conflicts.  What I don't understand is why apt
 wants to remove wmaker, too.

--
Marcelo