Re: Where's klecker located?

On Sun, 13 May 2001, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:

> Even if it is hosted in the USA, if you send a specially formatted notification
> to crypto@bxa.doc.gov with the URL you intend to upload to, before you actually
> upload the software, you are allowed to export software from the US. Go to
> http://www.bxa.doc.gov for more information. License classification TSU is what
> applies to all DFSG-compliant software.

However, sending BXA notification doesn't mean it's right for you to
distribute the software from klecker; this may be a risk that klecker's
(bandwidth, etc.) sponsors don't wish to take.

If it's currently inappropriate (per Policy, not per US law) to distribute
this software in main, you should consider whether the same reasoning might
apply to other Debian machines located within the US.  Consider the DMUP here.

This does not mean that it's /not/ acceptable to distribute crypto from
klecker, only that it's not possible to determine that solely by looking at
the law.  For all I know, VA Linux has given us explicit approval for this,
although I don't know where that would be documented.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer