Re: What's wrong with wmaker and wmaker-plain?

On Mon, 14 May 2001, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:

> >> Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:
>
>  > >  Hmm... which version of wmaker do you have and which version do you
>  > >  want to install?  The wmaker-plain package doesn't exist anymore, and
>  > >  it's provided by wmaker.
>  >
>  > Well, on the Sparc, it's wmaker 0.61.1-1, while on the Intel it's 0.61.1-4
>
>  That's the version you have, right?  Sparc has 0.61.1-4.0.1 and i386
>  has 0.61.1-4 on stable.  wmaker-plain doesn't exist on potato.  wmaker
>  on potato has:

I understand why wmaker-plain is to be removed. It was wmaker itself that
bothers me.

>  Conflicts: [...] wmaker-plain
>
>  > There was a fair amount of dependency resolution involved in marking the
>  > package on Hold. I suspect this is what makes apt-get wish to remove it...
>
>  Isn't there a way to ask apt-get to explain how it comes to a given
>  solution?  AFAIR the situation was like this: wmaker provided the
>  shared files and each of the wmaker-foo packages provided the binary,
>  that is, each of the wmaker-foo packages depended on wmaker.  Now
>  wmaker conflicts with all of them and provides all of them, so if you
>  have wmaker installed it gets upgraded and all the other packages get
>  removed because of the conflicts.  What I don't understand is why apt
>  wants to remove wmaker, too.

Well, I "bit the bullet" and did the upgrade on the Sparc, and yes, wmaker
was removed. However, once removed, 'apt-get install wmaker' worked just
fine...

I don't understand it either (but who's surprised ;-)  specially since
there were no unsatisfied dependencies to deal with when I did the
re-install.

Thanks for the help,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-