Re: Where's klecker located?

On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 11:09:17AM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> However, sending BXA notification doesn't mean it's right for you to
> distribute the software from klecker; this may be a risk that klecker's
> (bandwidth, etc.) sponsors don't wish to take.
>
> If it's currently inappropriate (per Policy, not per US law) to distribute
> this software in main, you should consider whether the same reasoning might
> apply to other Debian machines located within the US.  Consider the DMUP here.

Those are good points. I would be interested to know whether it is permitted,
but I don't know the relevant Debian / VA Linux rules. All I can comment on is
the BXA notification, and that only as an interested layman.

> This does not mean that it's /not/ acceptable to distribute crypto from
> klecker, only that it's not possible to determine that solely by looking at
> the law.  For all I know, VA Linux has given us explicit approval for this,
> although I don't know where that would be documented.

Someone should find out and the result should be added to the DMUP, whatever it
is, so that we know in the future. This is all IMHO of course. Hey, I'm not even
a Debian developer yet (waiting for DAM approval), so what do I know! :P

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@kaplowitz.org