Re: Proposing task-debian

Roland Bauerschmidt <rb@debian.org> wrote:
>> How does this allow you to remove a task package in an intuitive
>> way?  That is what this discussion was about.

> I am not exactly sure if debfoster does exactly this (at least it does
> similar), but this is what would call the perfect solution:

> % apt-get install task-foo

> there is a new field Installed-by or something in the apt database.

> task-foo
> Installed-by: manual

> package-task-foo-depends-on
> Installed-by: auto

> % apt-get remove task-foo
> 'package-task-foo-depends-on' which was required for 'task-foo' was
> installed automatically as a dependency, but is not necessary anymore.
> Do you want to remove it? [Y/n]

> If a package is set Installed-by: auto and later manually apt-get
> install'ed, the field would be updated to manual. Just a thought.
> On apt-get remove also only those package would be checked that are
> depended on by the package to be removed.

Hallo!
I was recently told in german usenet <3AE7B670.DFE4FE9A@uni-konstanz.de>
that FreeBSD used this kind of approach, its package managment (iirc
ports) remembered whether a package was requested directly or pulled in
by dependencies.

            cu andreas
--
Uptime: 10 seconds  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
vim:ls=2:stl=***\ Sing\ a\ song.\ ***