Re: kernel-{image,headers} package bloat

> > What about other kernel modules packages that are part of debian?
> > Will we need 6 or 7 pcmcia-modules-2.2.3-* packages, for example?

that's difficult to resolve. take alsa for example.

if user compiles their own kernel, then they will have to compile
their own alsa. since the protocol used in between alsa kernel modules
and alsaplayer are version dependent, the user will have to figure it
out and compile their own version of alsaplayer, ...

if we build alot of binary kernel, then we will have to build alot of
alsa-modules too. it will take more mirror space. even though it's
better than the above, it's still not perfect, and you know a
kernel-image deb is more than 7M to download, ...

i vote for alot of binary kernels. but i'd rather see someone comes
out will better ideas.
--
http://dim.sourceforge.net ............... Debian Chinese Input Method
http://njlug.sourceforge.net ............ NanJing GNU/Linux User Group