Re: kernel-{image,headers} package bloat

On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 06:07:50PM -0400, Josh Huber wrote:
> Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> writes:
>
> > i am, and always have been, talking about the bloated number of
> > kernel-{image,headers} packages.
>
> I have to admit, I strongly disagree with having separate packages for
> every flavor of i386 machines.  What about the other architectures as
> well?  Should we have versions for every revision of the Alpha?
> powerpc too?  this seems like an incredible waste of mirror space &
> bandwidth, and it looks like virtually every Developer here thinks
> this is a bad idea.  I wonder why that is?

Actually, we do have equivalent kernel packages for most of the (e.g.)
PowerPC variants.  There it is a little more necessary than here, since
the kernels only boot on one flavor.  There'll be even more when I
start building kernel packages on a faster machine.

Alpha is, I believe, the same way.  As is ARM, and possibly sparc...

--
Daniel Jacobowitz                           Debian GNU/Linux Developer
Monta Vista Software                              Debian Security Team