Re: kernel-{image,headers} package bloat

Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org> writes:

> Actually, we do have equivalent kernel packages for most of the (e.g.)
> PowerPC variants.  There it is a little more necessary than here, since
> the kernels only boot on one flavor.  There'll be even more when I
> start building kernel packages on a faster machine.

Yes, which is different -- we have 4 kernel-image packages for
powepc.  chrp, prep, pmac, and apus.  All different variants that are
different enough to warrent different binary kernel packages.
Actually, is that true?  It was my understanding that APUS was the
only one that needed a different kernel build.  Although I guess there
are the differences in which kernel image (vmlinux, zImage, etc) is
needed to boot your particular subarchitecture.

BUT -- this is *different* than the i386 situation!  We're not going
to start building a different kernel for every powerpc cpu type are
we?  601, 603(e), 604(e), 7xx, 74xx, and those are just the
non-embedded version. now what do we have?

kernel-image-version-<subarch>-<cpu>

that's what? 4 subarchs...well, let's say 3, because AFAIK APUS is
pretty limited in CPU choice.  3 * 5 cpu variants...15 kernel-image
packages for powerpc alone?

> Alpha is, I believe, the same way.  As is ARM, and possibly sparc...

it just seems excessive, _unless_ they're required to boot different
subarchs.

just IMHO, of course.

--
Josh Huber                                   | huber@debian.org |