Re: Build-depends on archaic versions of software wrong!

On Sat, Apr 07, 2001 at 11:55:10PM +0200, Christian Marillat wrote:
> This bug 93198 isn't related to the build depend on gettext 0.10.35-17.

gnome-core (1.4.0.1-2) unstable; urgency=low

  * Build depends on versionned gettext 0.10.35-17 (Closes: #93198)
  * Write manpage for gnome-session and add docbook-to-man in build-depnds
  * Write manpages for gnome-help (Closes: #87089)

 -- Christian Marillat <marillat@debian.org>  Sat,  7 Apr 2001 15:52:40 +0200

> To see why I've did that see bug 92932
>
> Quoting this bug:
>
> "Explanation: Some Korean users are using an UTF-8 locale, not an"
> "EUC-KR locale. If the msgstr is not correct EUC-KR, the conversion"
> "to UTF-8 will fail, and these users will see garbage on their screen."
> "Also, since the msgstr is not valid EUC-KR, the EUC-KR users will"
> "probably also see garbage on their screen."

i.e. there's a bug in Sawfish that needs to be fixed.

> Then I've 2 solutions :
>
> 1) Build-depends on gettext 0.10.35-17

But gettext 0.10.35-17 isn't in unstable, and it never will be again.
(If Santiago Vila decides to put it back in unstable, it will be
1:0.10.35-17, which is still greater than 0.10.35-17.)

> 2) Remove all po files who cause problem.
>
> I prefer the first solution.

Or how about 3) Fix the po file? Simply deleting the invalid text would
fix it short term, leaving one message untranslated. Once upstream's
been notified, hopefully they can release a correct po file, fixing
the problem.

> Another problem, xml-i18n-tools doesn't work with the latest gettext, and
> this package is needed by all Gnome 1.4 packages. A fix can be easily
> done.

Then what's the problem? Fix it.

> I think a lot of packages will not compile because of the latest gettext.

Then they need to be fixed. It's like when a new gcc or libc hits Debian,
and umpteen packages that had invalid code now break - gcc or libc isn't
at fault, the package is.

> The best solution for now is to depends on gettext 0.10.35 and wait to see
> if the latest gettext is needed in woody.

The maintainer put it in unstable, and given the fact that it may take
another year to freeze, I don't see any reason why it won't be woody.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"I don't care if Bill personally has my name and reads my email and