Re: ITP: ttf-baekmuk -- Baekmuk Korean truetype fonts

Yasuhiro TAKE <take@debian.org> writes:

> > It looks great.  But IMO nonstandard and unofficial i18n
> > implementation will be worse than no i18n in the future.  BTW there
> > are several other hacks to use Korean TTF in gs than gs-cjk.
>
> gs-cjk is not something stupid nonstandard unofficial implementation of i18n
> of ghostscript. It doesn't use any outer library like freetype or
> vflib to access TTF. ghostscript has ability to render TTF, so
> it makes use of the feature. In addition, It is just a small patch
> to a .ps file of ghostscript, so it is easy to introduce. Finally,
> the members of gs-cjk project is really active and have strong
> intention to merge the product to the upstream. Actually one of
> the members sent a patch to the upstream which fixes the bug that gs 6.5
> easily fails to handle CID fonts, which is introduced by the wrong
> implementation of handling CMap. The patch is now being reviewed.

Sorry, it seems like a good patch.  In fact, I have been annoyed by
merging Japanese-centric patches into the official debian packages,
especially the gs patch.

Do you know any web-pages or mailing list archives of gs-cjk project?
Please let me know.  (Japanese pages are OK.)

> Do you still insist that the gs-cjk is unstandard, unofficial, worthless
> inplement of i18n and worse than other several hacks of using
> (only?) Korean TTF? If the mentioned several hacks use freetype or vflib,
> or support only Korean TTF, there's no hope the upstream of ghostscript
> merges the hacks.

The Korean ones I know are uglier than the gs patch.  :)  One uses
modified vflib (which is Korean only, while the vflib freetype module
is Japanese only), one uses freetype, and the other emulates CID keyed
fonts.  Of course I also hate all of those.

> > Well, I want to package the baekmuk ttf package myself, but with
> > patience..  How about wait for me to package ttf-baekmuk a while?  At
> > least I want to wait until I see:
>
> No problem. I do not suffer from not having Korean TTF in fact.
> I have one request to you. Please merge the hintfile of defoma.
> It'll benefit various applications using TTF.

Ok I'll send a follow-up on the wnpp wishlist.  btw where's the
hintfile?

> > 1. standard font path - dir under /usr/X11R6 is not appropriate
> >    because the ttf is not X only..  I think /usr/share/fonts/truetype
> >    is better.
>
> Seconded! TTFs should go under /usr/share/fonts/truetype, and
> symlinks should be created under /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType.
>
> > 2. standard font install tool
>
> It is just confusing me. install for what?

Um..  I said a tool like defoma but as a debian standard so all fonts
packages uses it.

--
Changwoo Ryu