Re: ITP: ttf-baekmuk -- Baekmuk Korean truetype fonts

At 16 Mar 2001 00:37:11 +0900,
Changwoo Ryu wrote:

> It's not necessary, as there are already several debian lists in
> debian kr server, which is faster from Korea.  And I don't think there
> is enough demand for debian-korean in English language.  debian-i18n
> is still very low-traffic.

Hmm, i see. If korean people think it unnecessary, it isn't necessary.

> It looks great.  But IMO nonstandard and unofficial i18n
> implementation will be worse than no i18n in the future.  BTW there
> are several other hacks to use Korean TTF in gs than gs-cjk.

gs-cjk is not something stupid nonstandard unofficial implementation of i18n
of ghostscript. It doesn't use any outer library like freetype or
vflib to access TTF. ghostscript has ability to render TTF, so
it makes use of the feature. In addition, It is just a small patch
to a .ps file of ghostscript, so it is easy to introduce. Finally,
the members of gs-cjk project is really active and have strong
intention to merge the product to the upstream. Actually one of
the members sent a patch to the upstream which fixes the bug that gs 6.5
easily fails to handle CID fonts, which is introduced by the wrong
implementation of handling CMap. The patch is now being reviewed.

Do you still insist that the gs-cjk is unstandard, unofficial, worthless
inplement of i18n and worse than other several hacks of using
(only?) Korean TTF? If the mentioned several hacks use freetype or vflib,
or support only Korean TTF, there's no hope the upstream of ghostscript
merges the hacks.

> Well, I want to package the baekmuk ttf package myself, but with
> patience..  How about wait for me to package ttf-baekmuk a while?  At
> least I want to wait until I see:

No problem. I do not suffer from not having Korean TTF in fact.
I have one request to you. Please merge the hintfile of defoma.
It'll benefit various applications using TTF.

> 1. standard font path - dir under /usr/X11R6 is not appropriate
>    because the ttf is not X only..  I think /usr/share/fonts/truetype
>    is better.

Seconded! TTFs should go under /usr/share/fonts/truetype, and
symlinks should be created under /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType.

> 2. standard font install tool

It is just confusing me. install for what?

--
Yasuhiro Take aka hirot / <take@debian.org>
Debian Project