Re: ITP: ttf-baekmuk -- Baekmuk Korean truetype fonts

Yasuhiro TAKE <take@debian.org> writes:

> i suppose you're Korean, aren't you? it has nothing to do with
> the topic, but why not we have debian-korean list?
> Korean people do not think it necessary? i'm not Korean,
> so i hesitate to ask to create the list.

It's not necessary, as there are already several debian lists in
debian kr server, which is faster from Korea.  And I don't think there
is enough demand for debian-korean in English language.  debian-i18n
is still very low-traffic.

> > 1. Its XLFD names conflict with xfonts-baekmuk.  Yes, the names can be
> > changed by editting fonts.alias, but MIZI decided so...
>
> Doesn't the order of FontPath solve the problem?
> i mean, if you describe FontPaths in the following order,
> bitmap fonts are used only when the specified size matches, and
> truetype are used when no bitmap fonts match.
> 	FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
> 	FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType"
> 	FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"

The problem is we could use only one of the two, and the quality of
the tt fonts is not good (as below).  If I want better printing
quality, then I should give up good screen quality.

> Or, how about naming ttf-baekmuk fonts -baekmuk ttf-...?

I think we should not just decide such things...  It could cause
incompatibilities with other distributions.

> > 2. The truetype fonts are never useful for screen, as the hintings in
> > the xfonts-baekmuk have not been applied to the tt ones.  MIZI has
> > said the new version would include the hintings, but the release has
> > been delayed for years..
>
> Hmm.. that's problematic, but not only X makes use of truetype fonts.
> There're a lot of applications that use truetype, including gs-cjk
> i announced about a month ago.
> i've tested gs-cjk with ttf-baekmuk to see a Korean ps file generated
> by netscape, and found it worked well. please take a look at
> http://arashi.debian.or.jp/~take/index-ko.png
> it's a Korean version of www.debian.org shown by gv.
> Printing Korean postscript is now available.

It looks great.  But IMO nonstandard and unofficial i18n
implementation will be worse than no i18n in the future.  BTW there
are several other hacks to use Korean TTF in gs than gs-cjk.

Well, I want to package the baekmuk ttf package myself, but with
patience..  How about wait for me to package ttf-baekmuk a while?  At
least I want to wait until I see:

1. standard font path - dir under /usr/X11R6 is not appropriate
   because the ttf is not X only..  I think /usr/share/fonts/truetype
   is better.
2. standard font install tool

--
Changwoo Ryu