Re: ITP: ttf-baekmuk -- Baekmuk Korean truetype fonts

Hi Changwoo,

At 15 Mar 2001 04:45:10 +0900,
Changwoo Ryu wrote:

> I have already packaged it, but it's still in the Debian KR archive
> (though version is old, and only for X with xtt or xserver-xtt).
> There are several reasons that I have not uploaded it to debian:

i suppose you're Korean, aren't you? it has nothing to do with
the topic, but why not we have debian-korean list?
Korean people do not think it necessary? i'm not Korean,
so i hesitate to ask to create the list.

> 1. Its XLFD names conflict with xfonts-baekmuk.  Yes, the names can be
> changed by editting fonts.alias, but MIZI decided so...

Doesn't the order of FontPath solve the problem?
i mean, if you describe FontPaths in the following order,
bitmap fonts are used only when the specified size matches, and
truetype are used when no bitmap fonts match.
	FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
	FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType"
	FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
Or, how about naming ttf-baekmuk fonts -baekmuk ttf-...?

> 2. The truetype fonts are never useful for screen, as the hintings in
> the xfonts-baekmuk have not been applied to the tt ones.  MIZI has
> said the new version would include the hintings, but the release has
> been delayed for years..

Hmm.. that's problematic, but not only X makes use of truetype fonts.
There're a lot of applications that use truetype, including gs-cjk
i announced about a month ago.
i've tested gs-cjk with ttf-baekmuk to see a Korean ps file generated
by netscape, and found it worked well. please take a look at
http://arashi.debian.or.jp/~take/index-ko.png
it's a Korean version of www.debian.org shown by gv.
Printing Korean postscript is now available.

> 3. In debian, there is no standard installation method for truetype
> fonts.  (Maybe your defoma will solves that? :) Anyway I want to wait
> for any standard added into the policy.

I think the problem is there're two backends in X to handle truetype,
xtt and freetype, and those two have different .scale formats.
All truetype fonts should be put in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType
in my opinion, but the .scale problem would prevent this.
I mean, the existence of both .scale file for xtt and that for freetype
in /etc/X11/fonts/TrueType may cause a problem.

i know we need something to handle the configuration of truetype for X.
Use defoma framework? it may be one of the solutions.

--
Yasuhiro Take aka hirot / <take@debian.org>
Debian Project