Re: lintian whining about app-defaults file

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> Policy is clear, it was simply read to quickly.
>
> However, I suspect most of these SHOULD be conffiles.  I am inclined to leave
> the lintian message and just like the 2% of package admins who are using
> deconf/other magic use package overrides.

If you manage an app-defaults file, or any other file in /etc as a
configuration file, by hand (not as a conffile), you cannot ship that
file in your package in /etc. Your postinst must create it on the fly,
or copy it in from a template, or whatever. So lintian's checks are
right on the money.

(This same logic is what led me to making debhelper v3 mark all files in
/etc in the binary package as conffiles.)

--
see shy jo