Re: lintian whining about app-defaults file

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 11:41:35AM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> > Policy is clear, it was simply read to quickly.
> >
> > However, I suspect most of these SHOULD be conffiles.  I am inclined to leave
> > the lintian message and just like the 2% of package admins who are using
> > deconf/other magic use package overrides.
>
> If you manage an app-defaults file, or any other file in /etc as a
> configuration file, by hand (not as a conffile), you cannot ship that
> file in your package in /etc. Your postinst must create it on the fly,
> or copy it in from a template, or whatever. So lintian's checks are
> right on the money.

I don't really see the harm in shipping it as long as your postinst sets it
right when it runs.

> (This same logic is what led me to making debhelper v3 mark all files in
> /etc in the binary package as conffiles.)

Ho hum.  This will cost a little flexibility.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |    Communism is just one step on the long
Debian GNU/Linux                |    road from capitalism to capitalism.