Re: lintian whining about app-defaults file

On Sat, Mar 17, 2001 at 08:59:08AM +1100, Herbert Xu wrote:
> Sean 'Shaleh' Perry <shaleh@valinux.com> wrote:
> >
> > Policy is clear, it was simply read to quickly.
>
> > However, I suspect most of these SHOULD be conffiles.  I am inclined to leave
> > the lintian message and just like the 2% of package admins who are using
> > deconf/other magic use package overrides.
>
> If the file is in the package, then the fact that it's a configuration file
> means it must be marked as a conffile.  It can only be a configuration file
> without being marked as a conffile if it was constructed in a maintainer
> script.

Wrong.  You can ship the file and then have it doctored by some mechanism
that your package uses.

>  So the lintian check should be left as it is.

That may be so, but only because of the statistical likelihood of it being
a maintainer oversight, not a policy violation by definition.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |   If you wish to strive for peace of soul,
Debian GNU/Linux                |   then believe; if you wish to be a