Re: ITP: ttf-baekmuk -- Baekmuk Korean truetype fonts

>> > 3. In debian, there is no standard installation method for truetype
>> > fonts.  (Maybe your defoma will solves that? :) Anyway I want to wait
>> > for any standard added into the policy.

>> I think the problem is there're two backends in X to handle truetype,
>> xtt and freetype,

 Yes, I think so too

>> and those two have different .scale formats.

 But your understanding is slightly wrong, I think.

 xtt does not use fonts.scale, only refer fonts.dir.
 freetype does use both fonts.scale and fonts.dir.

>> All truetype fonts should be put in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType
>> in my opinion, but the .scale problem would prevent this.
>> I mean, the existence of both .scale file for xtt and that for freetype
>> in /etc/X11/fonts/TrueType may cause a problem.

 xtt can use some extra syntax in fonts.dir (it is called TTCap).
These fonts.dir are can not handle other font rendering engines (such
as freetype backend) because this syntax is incompatible with normal
fonts.dir syntax.

 Xtt and freetype can not load to XFree86 X server the same time. User
should choise xtt or freetype. When fonts.dir with TTCap syntax would
exist in font pathes, the user should choise xtt backend.

--
ISHIKAWA Mutsumi
 <ishikawa@linux.or.jp>, <ishikawa@debian.org>, <ishikawa@redhat.com>