Re: portability as a goal for debian?

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 10:47:28AM +0100, Andreas Schuldei wrote:
> * Richard Braakman (dark@xs4all.nl) [010307 10:39]:
> > > the aim is not to depend on bash but on the commonly implemented subset
> > > of functions (ash?). This is exactly about portability.
> > Since bash can do a lot more than the subset, it would be dumb not
> > to take advantage of the features when they would be useful.
> Bash is to big for essential. it uses several times the space of
> ash. essential has to be minimal.

In that case dpkg is too big for essential too.

] $ dpkg -s bash | grep Installed-Size
] Installed-Size: 578
] $ dpkg -s dpkg | grep Installed-Size
] Installed-Size: 2572

If you want a *really* small system, you build it yourself, and take
care of it yourself. This is possible, and even easy, because it's a
small system so there's not much to take care of.

Cheers,
aj