Re: portability as a goal for debian?

    >> portable accross unices. These are mostly gnuisms of make, but
    >> the >> packages ...
    >>
    Adrian> Please don't try to let the OpenBSD port of Debian work
    Adrian> without the GNU tools. The GNU tools are portable and I
    Adrian> don't expect many problems getting them running on
    Adrian> OpenBSD. And is there a good reason not to use e.g.  GNU
    Adrian> make?
    >>  I don't think the build-depends are such an interesting issue.
    >> GNU Make is fairly reasonable to substitute.
    >>
    >> It's annoying though to see people save a few keystrokes on
    >> calls to find and tar so they can avoid specifying -print or
    >> use -j or -z.  I certainly think that people should be
    >> encouraged to submit patches that decrease dependence on GNU
    >> tools where there is not a good reason for that dependence.
    >>
    >> I also think that if we run into maintainers who do not accept
    >> these patches or disagreements about where such dependence is
    >> appropriate, discussing changes to policy would be a reasonable
    >> solution.  ...

    Adrian> GNU make is build essential. That means I can use it when
    Adrian> building a package without declaring a build dependency.

How many times must I say GNU Make is *not* the issue?

    Adrian> GNU tar is essential. That means you can assume that it is
    Adrian> installed on every Debian system.

    Adrian> Do you really want to change this?

No, but I support those who do.  A tar should be essential.  I see no
reason why it should be gtar.  POSIX defines sufficient functionality
that if someone sees significant benefit to using some other tar for
another port, I do not have a problem moving in the direction of POSIX
tar just as we now only require POSIX shell.