Re: portability as a goal for debian?

* Richard Braakman (dark@xs4all.nl) [010307 09:25]:
> We don't only require POSIX shell.  bash is an Essential package.

I attended some discussion here about getting rid of the bash
extensions. and bash becoming non-essential.

the aim is not to depend on bash but on the commonly implemented subset
of functions (ash?). This is exactly about portability.

> The only thing that changed is that scripts that use bash extensions
> have to start with #!/bin/bash instead of #!/bin/sh.

no, the idear is to also only use 'sh' features and not 'bash'
features.