Re: portability as a goal for debian?

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 10:15:11AM +0100, Andreas Schuldei wrote:
> * Richard Braakman (dark@xs4all.nl) [010307 09:25]:
> > We don't only require POSIX shell.  bash is an Essential package.
>
> I attended some discussion here about getting rid of the bash
> extensions. and bash becoming non-essential.
>
> the aim is not to depend on bash but on the commonly implemented subset
> of functions (ash?). This is exactly about portability.

Since bash can do a lot more than the subset, it would be dumb not
to take advantage of the features when they would be useful.

> > The only thing that changed is that scripts that use bash extensions
> > have to start with #!/bin/bash instead of #!/bin/sh.
>
> no, the idear is to also only use 'sh' features and not 'bash'
> features.

It may be your idea but it's not mine.

The GNU tools are generally excellent.  You're asking us to throw
them out in exchange for... what?  Some mystical advantages of
Portability?  The opportunity to have to deal with other people's bugs?
The challenge of scripting tools that are missing important options?
The joy of encountering "cut: error: line too long"?

Richard Braakman