Re: hosts, resolv setup?

Thank you for the tip. I have tried your proposal but the problem
remains.

This kind of setup work on RHL(rawhide) and MDK(cooker) though.
On these boxes also /etc/hostname: host4.my.own.domain works. The only
difference is glibc version, 2.2.2 on debian and 2.2.1 on the other,
ssh versions are the same.

Debian and RHL gives the same result for dnsdomainname:
~> dnsdomainname
my.own.domain