Re: hosts, resolv setup?

Stefan Alfredsson writes:
 > Quoting Svante Signell <svante.signell@telia.com> [010221 21:51]:
 > > Everything is OK on my RHL(rawhide) and MDK(cooker) boxes but not the
 > > debian(unstable) box.
 >
 > Are you using the same ssh-version on all machines? unstable has
 > the lastest openssh, which might be more picky about reverselookups
 > than the versions on RH/MDK. As libresolv is contained in glibc,
 > does those versions differ?
Same ssh versions: ssh-2.3.0p1-1.13 on debian, openssh-2.3.0p1-14 on RHL and
openssh-2.3.0p1 on MDK.
Differing glibc versions: libc6_2.2.2-1 on debian, glibc-2.2.1-2 on RHL
Unknown version on MDK (cannot access that box right now).
Do you think this is the reason? Still no solution found though, see below.

 > > cat /etc/hostmame gives
 > > host4.my.own.domain
 >
 > I usually only have the hostname in this file, not the FQDN.
 > Looking at hostname(1), the hostname command should return
 > the hostname, while dnsdomainname should return the domain.
 >
 > Also,
 >
 > "Hostname is used to either set or display the current host
 >  or domain name of the system.  This name is used  by  many
 >  of  the  networking  programs to identify the machine."
 >
 > Have you tried to have only "host4" as the hostname?
 > (Remember to update the kernels view of the hostname aswell, by
 >  reboot or using the command discussed above.)
No difference, I have tried both alteratives. On the RHL box the full name
is used and it works there.