Re: hosts, resolv setup?

Quoting Svante Signell <svante.signell@telia.com> [010221 21:51]:
> Everything is OK on my RHL(rawhide) and MDK(cooker) boxes but not the
> debian(unstable) box.

Are you using the same ssh-version on all machines? unstable has
the lastest openssh, which might be more picky about reverselookups
than the versions on RH/MDK. As libresolv is contained in glibc,
does those versions differ?

> cat /etc/hostmame gives
> host4.my.own.domain

I usually only have the hostname in this file, not the FQDN.
Looking at hostname(1), the hostname command should return
the hostname, while dnsdomainname should return the domain.

Also,

"Hostname is used to either set or display the current host
 or domain name of the system.  This name is used  by  many
 of  the  networking  programs to identify the machine."

Have you tried to have only "host4" as the hostname?
(Remember to update the kernels view of the hostname aswell, by
 reboot or using the command discussed above.)

> /Svante

/Stefan