Re: RFC: Idea of Debian Font Manager

At Sun, 11 Feb 2001 18:43:06 +0100,
Federico Di Gregorio wrote:

> Scavenging the mail folder uncovered Yasuhiro TAKE's letter:
> > At Sun, 11 Feb 2001 18:10:39 +0100,
> > Federico Di Gregorio wrote:
> >
> > > very nice. but i urge you to give a look at dtm (in potato or woody)
> > > because it was written in perl and it supports nicities like font
> > > aliases, font priorities and other little goodies. as i said i don't
> > > have the time to support dtm, but it was, imho, pretty well designed.
> > > (it was able to generate config files for ghostscript and X11, some
> > > preliminary support for TeX, but that's a pretty difficult thing.)
> >
> > Would you please point me out where it is?
> > I failed to apt-get source dtm the day i was told about it.
>
> it was removed from woody. you can find it in potato.
> on any potato mirror:
>
> 	dists/potato/main/binary-i386/text/dtm_0.4.1.deb
> 	dists/potato/main/source/text/dtm_0.4.1.tar.gz

Thanks. I looked at it :)
It looks really similar to defoma. Its outline snippet file is
almost the same as hintfile in defoma as if defoma cribbed an
idea.

I have one question. According to README, dtm creates Fontmap and
fonts.dir automatically whenever dtm --add/--purge is called,
but who (or which) actually provides the method of creating them.
dtm seems to me to have the ability and create them. It's a
big difference between dtm and defoma.

Defoma does nothing itself about configuration. It only provides a
framework of auto-configuraion, and some useful mechanism like
aliases, priorities, prevention of name-confliction and substitutions.
Each application is in charge of providing the configuration script
which for example creates Fontmap and fonts.scale. It means any
application that makes use of fonts benefits from defoma.
In addition, defoma can handle any type of font, or even any type
of object.

Regards,
--
Yasuhiro Take aka hirot / <take@debian.org>