Re: Partial support for international description of packages

On Sat, Jan 20, 2001 at 02:16:55AM +0100, H?ctor Garc?a wrote:
> El 19 Jan 2001 13:47:36 -0600, David Starner escribió:
> > There is a problem that will have to be dealt with. If you read
> > kde-i18n, translators are constantly complaining that programmers
> > changed strings during a freeze/during a slush/gratitiously. If we
> > start translating Packages.gz, maintainers probably should avoid
> > changing descriptions unless neseccary.
> >

> That won't be needed once you have translated the .po file you only have
> to add the packages description being added to unstable (the gettext
> tools will let you know) and fix the description that has change (once
> you make a description for your package you don't change it so often)

There is ~3500 package descriptions to be translated, with maybe one or
two more packages per day. For every es or de group that has enough
translators, there's a lt or eo group that will have one or two that will
probably never catch up. We'll have to wait and see, but it could become
a problem, especially in a freeze where some translators are trying to
complete the translation before (say) woody ships.

More questions:
Would this mean that those non-English package descriptions would changed
to English and then translated in their respective files? (It annoys the
perfectionist in me greatly that the Packages file is in no consistant
character set.)

What character set would the Packages file be in? This really only
matters for maintainer's names, but tools sometimes get irrate when
you include a Latin-1 character in an allegedly UTF-8 or other
character set.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
Recovering from a hard drive "crash" - website down