Re: Secure apt-get

On Sat, 20 Jan 2001, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:

> A bigger problem are hacked Mirrors. Therefore some kind of Signature is
> required even on binary packets.

Binary package signatures do not deter some attacks..

Alfredo is porting his Connectiva code into APT4, the FTP masters and
Release masters have agreed on a file format/etc and we will likely see
signed *releases* for woody (I hope).

This means you can tell that you are using Debian 2.2rX from Debian itself
with certainty no matter where you get it from, as long as you can get a
trust path back to the signing keys (ie w/ HTTPs and Verisign).

I expect to see APT reproting something like:

apt-get update -q
[..]
Available Archives:
  Debian 2.2r2 dated January 2, 2001 [SIGNED]
  Debian 2.2r1 dated December 2, 2000 [SIGNED]
  Jason's APT Archive January 19, 2001

Signed releases are ment to deter distribution channel attacks, and be
really easy to use correctly for the end user.

Jason