Re: Partial support for international description of packages

Hi

El 19 Jan 2001 13:47:36 -0600, David Starner escribió:
> On Fri, Jan 19, 2001 at 05:09:29PM -0200, Gustavo Noronha Silva (KoV) wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 19, 2001 at 06:53:28PM +0100, Hector Garcia wrote:
> > > Hi all
> > > -- The second one would be to place the Packages.<lag code>.gz file at
> > > dists/woody/main/<lang code>/binary-i386. This way if you put at your
> > > sources.lists file the line
> > >     deb http://what_ever_mirror.debian.org woody main/<lang code>
> > I like best this one, but I think it could be done by getting the
> > LANG environment variable, or by looking at /etc/locale.gen

If you want something automatic you need the first option. The second
one is more manual (you set your own when placing lines at
sources.lists, no config files, no changes to apt)

> > We also need to think about the Packages.gz updating, what about
> > if a new package or a new version of an existing package gets
> > uploaded? It will have a new control file and that will overwrite
> > the Packages entry won't it?
>
> I assume his scripts take care of this. You'd almost have to reinvent
> the .po format and keep track of old descriptions, so a new package
> that had an old description could be uploaded without losing the
> translations. Should a program that changes its description use the
> old translation or the English version until a translator can check it?
> Should there be some "distance" calculated, and only things within that
> distance use the old translation?

Yes it does take care of that. And no, I don't want to reinvent the .po
format I'm planing on using it.
My script takes care of making a .po file from the Packages.gz and
making a new translated Packages.gz from the .po file. Of course if
something it is not translated goes as the original, just like regular
use of .po + gettext.

> > > What do you think? Can we do this? Are there any other options?
> There is a problem that will have to be dealt with. If you read
> kde-i18n, translators are constantly complaining that programmers
> changed strings during a freeze/during a slush/gratitiously. If we
> start translating Packages.gz, maintainers probably should avoid
> changing descriptions unless neseccary.

That won't be needed once you have translated the .po file you only have
to add the packages description being added to unstable (the gettext
tools will let you know) and fix the description that has change (once
you make a description for your package you don't change it so often)

Héctor