Re: Constitutions (was: Re: New-maintainer - STOP THAT SHIT)

Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho <gaia@iki.fi> writes:

> On 20010116T104641+0100, Stefan Nobis wrote:
> > That's not quite correct. The very base of every democratic society is the
> > diversion of powers, the executive, the legislative and the legal powers. So
> > you can make a call to the legal powers to override something of the
> > legislative powers. That's the same as above.
>
> I was referring to the legal powers by the "independent decision makers".
> Although they are not exactly comparable to DAM in terms of position,
> there is the fact that nobody can countermand a lawful decision made
> by whatever supreme court there is in the society, except perhaps the
> court itself.

But you miss some important points. First, there are the diversions of the
powers. People, who make laws, are not allowed to administer justice. And
every lawsuit begins not at supreme court but at lower courts and if they
sentence you you may make a call to higher courts.

In Debian the diversion of powers is not as good as in most democracies and
Debian is small, so there is not need for a hierachy like the different courts
-- think of the vote of developers as a supreme court.

--
Until the next mail...,
Stefan.