Re: New-maintainer - STOP THAT SHIT

** On Jan 16, Hamish Moffatt scribbled:
> On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 01:06:48PM +0100, Marek Habersack wrote:
> > ** On Jan 15, Hamish Moffatt scribbled:
> > > No, Debian (a software project) is about developing an OS, not
> > > about providing access to machines. The machines are only a tool
> > > for developing the distribution.
> > yes, but you can't expect all the maintainers hava a park of machines of all
> > architectures. And yet, the Debian OS runs different kernels and on
> > different architectures. The conclusion is obvious.
>
> The obvious conclusion is that you did not understand my comment.
Be it.

> You are not expected to have the complete set of Debian provided machines.
Good.

> Debian will provide access to other platforms for the purpose of
> Debian development work. Access to those machines is a tool for
> developing the distribution; it is not a reason to join Debian
> in itself.
I never, _never_, said that. It was an argument why the account is needed.

> You don't have to compile packages for other architectures yourself,
> either. The autobuilders do that, much easier than your or I can do it by hand.
They don't fix bugs for me. If I want my software to work on a different
architecture and the software has some architecture dependent things, _and_
I don't have machines of that architecture available, but Debian as a
project has them, then I do need the account to make the software work OK.
And no autobuilder will guarantee that. Please, let us not make another
flamewar out of this issue - it was just a single argument among others (and
not the most important one).

marek

--
Visit: http://caudium.net - the Caudium WebServer

/* A completely unrelated fortune */
 * bma is a yank * Knghtbrd is a Knghtbrd * dhd is also a yank * Espy is
 evil * Knghtbrd believes Espy