Re: dpkg and pre-versions

Peter Makholm <peter@makholm.net> writes:
> I can't think of any special meaning ~ could have in a middle of a
> name. And then it almost looks like and sometimes used as an
> approximination sign, which prereleases is.

This (tilde) seems like the best suggestion so far.  It also has an
advantage over things like the at-sign, in that it is `whitespace like'
(in the same way that _ and - are), so that the pre-version is separated
nicely from the rest.

For instance something like `@' looks awful: 1.2@pre2-1
Whereas `~' looks pretty good:               1.2~pre2-1

-Miles
--
Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly it flips over,
pinning you underneath.  At night the ice weasels come.  --Nietzsche