Re: dpkg and pre-versions

On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 08:02:29AM +0100, Peter Makholm wrote:
> If we don't want to give some special meaning to versions with an
> "pre" in ti, then this is probally the best solution. And give "pre"
> a special meaning is not a good soulution IMHO.

Why is it not a good solution? IMHO, it's the best solution.

It has the disadvantage that special case code is needed to recognize
it. However, the *big* advantage is that it corresponds to what
everybody thinks when they see a version number like "1.0pre5".

In practice, you would look for the letters "pre", delimited by
non-alphabetic or end-of-string on either side, in any part of a
package name after the first "_", and replace that "pre" with space
when comparing version numbers.

Everybody else so far seems to think this is a Bad Thing. Why?

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer           | CS student at the Technische | GPG key:
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net        | Universität München, Germany | 888354F7
  ¯ ´` ¯