Re: big Packages.gz file

On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 06:04:58PM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
> Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> writes:
> > What is the real problem with the large package files? They take a long
> > time to download, but so do emacs and other bloatware.
>
> Yeah, but how often do you download emacs?

Never, I wouldn't touch that thing with a 40 foot barge pole!

> The packages file gets downloaded _every single time_ you do an update,
> and for those of us with a slow modem link, that really sucks.

True enough. I haven't really been following the discussion, to be honest.

Maybe there could be another version of Packages.gz without the
extended descriptions -- I imagine they would take something like
33% of the Packages file, in line count at least.

Hamish