Re: big Packages.gz file

On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 11:40:01PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 06:04:58PM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
> > Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> writes:
> > > What is the real problem with the large package files? They take a long
> > > time to download, but so do emacs and other bloatware.

> > The packages file gets downloaded _every single time_ you do an update,
> > and for those of us with a slow modem link, that really sucks.
>
> True enough. I haven't really been following the discussion, to be honest.
>
> Maybe there could be another version of Packages.gz without the
> extended descriptions -- I imagine they would take something like
> 33% of the Packages file, in line count at least.

Please excuse me if I am jumping into the discussion unprepared or if
this has already been mentioned.

How hard would it be to make daily diffs of the Package file? Most people
running unstable update every other day and this will require downloading
and applying only a couple of diff files.

The whole process can be easily automated.

Sluncho <sluncho@mirizma.org>