Re: tar -I incompatibility

On Sat, Jan 06, 2001 at 11:20:58AM -0500, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 07, 2001 at 01:17:40AM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
> > One point the maintainer has made on the gnu mailing lists in response
> > to complaints about this change is that there has actually been no
> > *released* version of gnu tar that uses -I for bzip (I don't know
> > whether it's true or not).
>
> Who cares? It adds no new functionality and is obviously breaking
> things.

I think that your argument is equivalent to someone complaining that
unstable is broken.  Of course it is, nothing has been finalized and it
is, by definition, unstable.  If you want stability, use the released
version, not unstable or code in CVS, otherwise, realize that our first
instincts are not always correct.

-Neal