Re: package pool and big Packages.gz file

On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 03:02:15AM +0800, zhaoway wrote:
> my proposal to resolve big Packages.gz is through package
> pool system.
> add 36 or so new debian package, namely,
> [a-zA-Z0-1]-packages-gz_date_all.deb
> contents of each is quite obvious. ;-)
> and a virtual unstable-packages-gz depends on all of them. finished.
> apt-get update should deal with it....

how about diffs bethween dinstall runs?..

apt would download the changes after the last update, and merge these to the
package file, if the file gets corrupted, it would attempt to do a full update.

This wouldn't be a big difference in the load that the master-ftp has to
handle, atleast when some 7 of these would be stored at maximum.

Regards, Sami Haahtinen

every nerd knows how to enjoy the little things of life,
like: rm -rf windows