Re: package pool and big Packages.gz file

On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 11:01:15PM +0200, Sami Haahtinen wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 03:02:15AM +0800, zhaoway wrote:
> > my proposal to resolve big Packages.gz is through package
> > pool system.
> >
> > add 36 or so new debian package, namely,
> >
> > [a-zA-Z0-1]-packages-gz_date_all.deb
> >
> > contents of each is quite obvious. ;-)
> > and a virtual unstable-packages-gz depends on all of them. finished.
> >
> > apt-get update should deal with it....
>
> how about diffs bethween dinstall runs?..

sorry, but i don't understand here. dinstall is a server side thing here?

> packages-010102-010103.gz
> packages-010103-010104.gz
> packages.gz
>
> apt would download the changes after the last update, and merge these to the
> package file, if the file gets corrupted, it would attempt to do a full update.
>
> This wouldn't be a big difference in the load that the master-ftp has to
> handle, atleast when some 7 of these would be stored at maximum.

okay, try to group packages according to dependency,

on the top, some pkg-gz-deb lists packages on the leaf of dependency tree,
and each of pkg-gz-deb won't get bigger than 100k, and each of them depends
on some more basic pkg-gz-deb

below, some other pkg-gz-deb like the base sub-system.

this way, when user install xdm,
apt-get first install pkg-gz-deb which lists xdm, then as dependency checking,
it will install base-a-pkg-gz-deb etc. ect., then xdm got installed, this way,
all xdm's dependency will be fulfiled with the newest information avalaible.

and you can see this will surely ease up the band-width. (when update gcc, i
won't get additional bits of Packages.gz about xdm xfree etc.)

regards,

zw