Re: ITP plex86, if it complies to DFSG

On Sat, Dec 02, 2000 at 12:54:28PM +0100, Santiago Garcia Mantinan wrote:
> > You can freely distribute it, so it's okay for non-free. You can't
> > use it for any purpose though, and it doesn't look like you can modify
> > it either, so it's not so okay for main, though. :( plex86 may need
> > to go in contrib if it has to depend on this vga bios.
>
> Yes, at least by now it depends on that bios, until somebody writes a free
> bios, I wonder if this would be too dificult :-)

Well, theoretically, it could be possible to boot plex86 as "videoless" computer,
eliminating the need for vga bios altogether (I do not know if it is
possible now, but should not be too difficult, but until plex86 supports network
or serial port, it is kind of useless anyway)

> Anyway, the bios comes with plex86 sources. You mean then to make two binary
> packages, one for plex86 on contrib and a little one with the vga bios on
> non-free?

if it is possible to boot plex86 without vga emulation, I's suggest
putting plex86 into main, and suggesting vga bios, which will be in
non-free